07 February 2006

the dreaded swatch

After a year of regarding every pattern maker's advice to "take time to check the gauge," I begrudgingly forced myself to knit a swatch for my Olympic project. Just yesterday I wept while unraveling a mostly completed, horribly boxy sock, suitable mainly for Cinderella's stepsisters. I devoted a hefty amount of time to this wretched sock, especially since I started the thing three times with three different yarns. Not reading beyond the worsted weight label, I only considered the cotton's pleasing drag over bamboo needles and the lovely color palette. All very relaxing until my sock failed the critical try-on stage. Alas...from the skein it was made, and to the skein it must return.
Lesson learned, or at least finally believed, I promptly produced an Olympic training swatch. I must admit, I enjoyed the process, and despite my initial skepticism, I now find this yarn fully delightful.

Tracking down the various needle types and sizes required by this pattern has proven quite challenging. No matter how full my bag o' needles grows, I always seem to be lacking required sizes. I visited two shops today, only to drive home in disgust without my quarry. Mail order to the rescue! I just home my team of needles arrives in time for the opening ceremony.

As Friday night approaches, my recent sock failure leaves me empty handed, my needles barren. Do I pick up that half-finished dishcloth? Perhaps the half-finished scarf, or any other project residing in my half-finished drawer? Perish the thought. A sock-related gauge swatch beckons...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go for the gold. Better to test than rip out.
Love,
Jinglecake