21 April 2007

going in circles

Our new fiber arts guild has had only two meetings so far, and already I'm a spinning convert. I've tried the spindle before, as an academic exercise, but I've never given the craft any serious time or made any attempt to hone my burgeoning skills. I considered buying a drop spindle at last year's Sheep Show, but I decided my limited funds were better spent on finished yarn. I've finally taken the plunge and bought a top whorl drop spindle..a beginner's model, called the "bare bones."


I'm enraptured. I'm also dying to leap to the next step and buy a wheel. The Ashford Traveler, to be exact. Naturally, the wheel is a much bigger investment than the bare bones, and I'm hoping the funds for such a purchase will be in the offing.


In the meantime, I'm spinning away, using wool pencil roving (which feels like cheating, it's so easy) in a lovely dark brown natural shade. I just can't get enough of this color.


I've no idea what I will do with the yarn once it's spun, particularly since I've no idea how much yarn 8 oz. of pencil roving will produce. Interestingly, the color blends very nicely with the two skeins (still unknit) that I bought last year at the Sheep Show. Perhaps a shawl...


In addition to spinning...buns.


No comments: