09 June 2006

two peas in a pod

A finished pair of socks! Two actual, matching socks, completed one right after the other. A whole pair of socks in three days. I'm bursting with pride.


And the stripes come so close to lining up.


I loved knitting these. While I was knitting, I began imagining all the other pairs of socks I could knit, contemplating gifts for everyone I know, concocting plans of beginning my Christmas knitting early. Then I began frendziedly searching for the next perfect sock pattern. I decided I was ready to take the next step, produce a beautifully patterned lacy bit of wonder. I rummaged my stash and came up with a skein of Magic Stripes yarn that I had given up for lost, and I cast on a pattern featuring a lovely feather and fan pattern over the whole sock.


After a few hours of yarn overs, I ripped out the whole thing. The pattern was simple enough, but I realized that what draws me to sock knitting is mainly the soothing repitition of stockinette stitch on smooth size 3 bamboo dpn's. The rhythm is hypnotic. I feel all my stress melting away as the yarn flows around the needles. Turning the heel and making a heel gusset provide just enough stimulation to get my brain going before the trance sets in. The length of the rounds is just right--long enough to keep from getting dizzy, short enough to keep an easy count. I tossed the lace and began a new stockinette pattern which I modified to include a rolled cuff.

No comments: